Planning your travel in an advance is the first step to having a holiday you’ll never forget. But, when you create a travel itinerary can be overwhelming, especially when you don’t know where to start.
But, lucky for you, we’ve created this post which gives you a step-by-step guide on how to create a travel itinerary for a holiday you’ll treasure for a lifetime. In this blog, we take you from choosing your holiday destination all the way to planning what you’ll do there. By the end of the post, you’ll be ready to hop on a plane to your next big adventure.
1. How to choose your holiday destination
If you don’t have a clear idea of exactly where you’d like to go in the world, it can pretty tough trying to it figure out. When we’re faced with this situation, we usually let the price decide. Skyscanner is my go-to resource for finding inspiration for my next holiday destination. The reason I like it is because you can shortlist holiday destinations by the cheapest flights. All you need to do is enter your home city to a “flexible” destination, which you can do below.
Find your next holiday destination now:
Once you have your shortlist, narrow it down to place or places you’d really like to go.
2. Here’s how to find the cheapest plane tickets
- Put a price alert on Skyscanner. All you need to do is set up your price alert for the place you’d like to go and the time period you’d like to travel in and Skyscanner will send you an email when those ticket prices drop.
- When booking tickets, make sure you choose the most convenient airport. Not all airports in a city are created equally and some are actually very far away from the center of town. So, ensure you do a quick search on Google maps and compare the locations of the airports. This can save you time and cash in the long run.
- Use a VPN to compare the flight prices. If you have a VPN, use it to compare the price of the flight tickets in different countries. If you don’t have a VPN, you can use our link below for a discount.
3. How to find the perfect accommodation
We recommend Airbnb for accommodation which ticks all the boxes: choice, cost, convenience, and cleanliness. You can pretty much find anything you need on Airbnb. If you haven’t tried it out yet, you can use my discount link below for $50 off your first booking.
4. How to create your day-to-day travel itinerary
Check out TripAdvisor’s top recommendations for things to do in your next travel destination.
And, if you’re interested in saving money, I highly recommend renting a car and doing all the top sights and attractions by yourself. You can get a lot more done and you’ll save money because tour companies take you to the same sights and charge more for the convenience.
5. How to organise the travel itinerary you’ve created
Break up your activities by location and group them together for one day. As you can see below, we’ve grouped all the destinations by location and saved 9 hours of driving just by doing this! If you’d like a more detailed breakdown on how to create a travel itinerary map – read our post How to Create a Travel Itinerary Map on Google Maps in Under 10 Minutes.
6. How to store and share your travel itinerary
This is really just personal preference, but we like to put our travel itinerary on Evernote because there’s an app you can use on your phone (awesome), you can paste links, images and you can share your itinerary with someone else so they have it on their phone too!
It’s a good idea to store your boarding passes, flight numbers and visas somewhere on your phone too, you never know when you might need it!
And there you have it! How to create a travel itinerary for an unforgettable holiday. If you’d like some travel inspiration, check out our post 5 Places in Our Travel Itinerary That Will Make You Want to Travel New Zealand.